Monday, March 5, 2018

#SALE .99 LOVE BY SECRETS by Debra Elizabeth


Excerpt:
“He said that?” Mia asked.
“Yes, can you believe it? It was the most perfect thing anyone has ever said to me,” Emily said.
“Indeed.”
“Are you having a good time, Mia?”
“Yes, it’s been lovely so far and even my parents seem to be enjoying themselves.”
“Good, I’m glad for it. I can’t wait for my dance with Mr. Preston.”
For the rest of the evening, she could think of nothing except the dashing Mr. Preston. Her dance card had filled quickly and she had no lack of partners dancing nearly every dance. When her dance with Mr. Preston was finally announced, she was not disappointed. He was charming and witty, and she floated around the dance floor with a smile that lit up her beautiful face. She never noticed Ethan Richardson stealing glances at her.
When the dancing ended, she found her parents and they all said their goodbyes to Lord and Lady Tisbury.
“Thank you for such a lovely night. It was magical,” Emily said with a curtsy.
“I’m glad you enjoyed yourself.” Lady Tisbury turned to Catherine. “Shall we have tea soon?”
“That would be lovely,” Catherine said.
Later that evening, Emily recounted her time at the dance with Nesmith. “Oh, Nesmith, you should have seen the room. It was so beautiful with all the flowers and the candles lit up the room. Mia and I danced almost every dance.”
“Who did you dance with?” Nesmith asked, helping Emily out of her dress.
“With almost every gentleman in attendance, but I danced twice with Mr. Connor Preston. He’s so handsome and quite dashing. I think he likes me.”
Nesmith hung up the dress in the wardrobe before she began to take the pins out of Emily’s hair. “Really? Did he say anything to indicate that he liked you?”
“He winked at me, and told me I put the stars to shame. We danced two dances together.” Emily didn’t bother to tell Nesmith that one of the dances was the quadrille and Connor’s partner was actually Elizabeth Curry. Nor did she tell her the thrill that went through her when their hands touched.
“I see. Miss Emily, don’t get your hopes up. It might not mean what you think it means. Men love dancing with pretty girls. When he comes to see your father, then you’ll know he’s serious.”
“Oh, Nesmith, don’t be so harsh. You weren’t there. It was wonderful and I just know he likes me.”
“If you say so,” Nesmith said, a frown creasing her face. The older woman combed out Emily’s hair and braided it before helping her into her nightdress. “There you go. Do you need anything else?”
“No, thank you, Nesmith. Good night.”
“Good night, Miss Emily.” Nesmith left the room, closing the door behind her and hurried down the hall to attend to Mrs. Stanton.
Emily grabbed her evening reticule. She brought the candle from the vanity over to the small table next to her bed. She climbed into bed and snuggled into the soft feather pillows. She opened her reticule and pulled out her dance card to look at Connor’s name again when a slip of paper fell out. “What’s this?”
She unfolded the note and inhaled sharply as she read it.

I have eyes for only one
In the sea of colorful silks
With eyes of blue
And a smile that
Gladdens my heart
You are my Bright Star

“The stars again! Such a beautiful letter. Oh, Mr. Preston, I knew you liked me,” she said hugging the slip of paper to her breast.

***********************************
Blurb:
Eighteen-year-old Emily Stanton is excited to attend this season's society balls and begin her search for a husband. She is thrilled when the dashing and handsome Connor Preston begins to show her more attention. After each ball, Emily finds a love note in her drawstring reticule, and she expects a marriage proposal from Connor any day.

When her father objects and forces Emily to accept the proposal from Lady Tisbury's shy nephew, Ethan Richardson instead, her heart is broken. How can she love her new husband when her heart belongs to the man who wrote her such beautiful love letters?

LOVE BY SECRETS is ON SALE for only .99. Grab a copy before the price goes back to $2.99.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.